Cohasset Yacht Club

99 Howard Gleason Rd, Cohasset, MA 02025, USA


Owned By: Cohasset Yacht Club

Through the years, the private club has hosted many national, regional and local sailing championships, as well as popular Adult Sailing lessons. The clubhouse, located in a gorgeous spot on Cohasset Cove, is available as a rental for functions.


The Cohasset Yacht Club was established in 1894 by George Howe, Harry Mapes and Charles Cousens “to encourage yachting through the promotion of good fellowship among those interested in sailing, seamanship and enjoyment of the ocean and its environment.” It’s also worth noting that Captain Aubrey Crocker of Cohasset sailed the yacht Puritan in the 1885 America’s Cup.

Prior to European contact, a band of the Massachusett Native American tribe maintained a village in what is now Cohasset. It was known as Quonahassit — often translated as “long rocky place.” In 1614, while exploring what was known then as the New World, Captain John Smith (1580-1631) landed in “Quonahassit Harbor” to trade for furs. The Quonahassit village was probably in the vicinity of today’s Elm Street, a summer camp for fishing, and for growing corn, beans and squash. The village moved inland during the winter for shelter, and to hunt for deer, turkey and other wildlife. A widespread plague decimated the Quonahassit population shortly after Smith’s visit.

Habitats and Wildlife

The Cohasset Yacht Club is located on Cohasset’s Inner Harbor, also known as Cohasset Cove. Nearby, the Gulf River finds its outlet to the Atlantic Ocean.

99 Howard Gleason Rd, Cohasset, MA 02025, USA

Historic Site: No

Park: No

Beach: No

Boat Launch: Yes

Lifeguards: No

Parking: Very limited on-site parking for members only.


Clubhouse, launch ramp.

Dogs: No

Boat Ramp: Yes

ADA Access: Yes

Scenic Views: Yes

Waterbody/Watershed: Gulf River

Other Things to Do at This Site