784 High St, Hanson, MA 02341, USA
Owned By: Fern Hill Cemetery
Historic cemetery with walking paths and views of Wampatuck Pond. Water access for canoes, kayaks and anglers.
Founded in 1748 in association with the Second Church of Christ in the West Parish of Pembroke (now the First Congregational Church of Hanson). Also known as Old Burial Hill and Gravely Hill. The only active cemetery in the town of Hanson, it is very well-maintained. There is an on-site office with burial records. The granite archway at the entrance was placed in 1899, with great fanfare. It reads “1750-1900.”
There is a small section of shoreline at the rear of the property, where one could launch a kayak or canoe. More universal pond access is available at the Hanson Town Hall on Route 58.
Trails extend around the perimeter of the property and in row formation among the gravestones. Some are paved and some are grass or gravel. The public is welcome for walking from dawn to dusk.
Habitats and Wildlife
The cemetery is set on Wampatuck Pond, which was created by the damming of Wampatuck Brook in 1695. Where the brook flows out of the pond, it is known as Indian Head Brook. It flows eventually into the Indian Head River, and is part of the North & South Rives watershed.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: Yes
Size: 6.6 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited on-site parking. Follow the paved road from the entrance closest to Route 14 to the rear of the cemetery. A small parking area overlooks Wampatuck Pond.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Occasional benches. Informational kiosks. Stairway from the parking area leads down to the shore of Wampatuck Pond.
Dogs: Pets are welcome but must remain on leash and under control.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Wampatuck Pond (North & South Rivers watershed)