300 School St, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Owned By: Marshfield Rod and Gun Club
Established in 1930, this members-only club offers a stocked fishing pond, an archery range, plus indoor and outdoor shooting ranges (pistol, rifle, skeet). The centerpiece is the 4-acre Clark Pond, which is surrounded by woodlands. Only non-motorized craft and boats with electric motors (not gas) are permitted for paddling on the pond. Ice fishing and cross-country skiing are permitted in the winter. Special events include fishing derbies, speciality archery and firearms shoots, training programs, and family outings. Children under 14 must be supervised by an adult. Membership is currently full (2022).
The purpose of the Marshfield Rod & Gun Club is to promote and foster good sportsmanship, to educate the sportsmen of tomorrow in the safe handling of firearms through safety courses, to influence the proper protection, propagation and distribution of fish and game, and to conserve and preserve our natural resources.
According to “Marshfield: A Town of Villages 1640-1900” by Cynthia Hagar Krusell and Betty Magoun Bates, the club got its start in the late 1920’s with a group of men who were interested in hunting and fishing. The club officially incorporated in August 1930. After a successful membership drive c. 1947, the club purchased land from Fred Hall of School Street, as well as adjacent land owned by the town. The clubhouse was constructed in 1952. Some digging as well as the damming of Two Mile Brook resulted in the creation of Clark Pond in 1953 and 1954. The pond is named after member Howard Clark, who was very active as a volunteer for fishing derbies and other club activities. The Williams Archery Center, with targets at 10, 20, 30, 40 and 50 yards, opened in the summer of 2013.
Membership is required to use the club facilities. All guests must be accompanied by members. All Massachusetts laws and regulations apply. Large mouth bass (black bass) are catch and release only. There is a maximum of 3 trout per person. Life jackets must be worn from September 15 through May 15.
In earlier times, this land was within the region of the Wampanoag and Massachuseuk (or Massachusett) Native American tribes.
Habitats and Wildlife
Two Mile Brook flows through the property. Two Mile Brook begins its course at Cooper’s Pond, off School Street in Marshfield — a rare-for-this-town natural (as opposed to manmade) pond. Downstream, a dam at the Rod & Gun Club holds Clark Pond — a former mill pond — in place. The brook continues through two additional mill ponds before emptying in to the North River downstream of the Hatch Mill.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: Yes
Size: 100 acres
Hours: Generally dawn to dusk, depending on the activity.
Parking: Limited on-site parking.
Cost: Costs vary.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Clubhouse, archery range, pistol, rifle and skeet shooting ranges, stocked 4-acre fishing pond. Benches, trash receptacles, picnic tables.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Two Mile Brook (North River watershed)