- This event has passed.
March 17 @ 3:30 pm - March 31 @ 4:45 pm
Registration is open for our 2021 Virtual Conference on Environmental Justice
What is Environmental Justice?
Register here. Details below.
Watershed Action Alliance’s 2021 virtual conference addresses environmental justice as it pertains to clean and plentiful water, reconnected rivers, and healthy watersheds for all. Sign up for one, two or all of the three sessions and learn from local leaders and experts about this timely topic. The conference is free, although donations are encouraged to supplement the support of our sponsors.
The first session is What is Environmental Justice? during which you will learn:
- the definition of environmental justice (often abbreviated to “EJ”)
- how environmental justice populations are defined and where they are located in Massachusetts
- some of the biggest EJ issues in the region
- Black and indigenous peoples’ engagement in clean energy development
Supporting Public Access to Recreational Waters, the second session, also boasts an exciting line up of presenters, who will speak about:
- the successful and popular Neponset River Greenway Trail, and how grassroots efforts, local support and targeted marketing increased usage by environmental justice community members and others
- Indigenous people’s rights to access ancestral fishing grounds in Massachusetts and beyond
- how social science, data collection and hearing from those most impacted can aid in making public access areas to water welcoming and available to Black, Indigenous and People of Color (BIPOC) communities
Promoting Environmental Justice: The First Steps is the third and final session. Attendees will take the first steps toward implementing environmental justice by learning key terms and definitions, how to have authentic conversations about racism, and ways to implement anti-racist practices. They will also take away specific recommendations for how to continue this work after the session ends. Read more about session leader Livia Davis of C4 Innovations. Register here!