508 Beechwood St, Cohasset, MA 02025, USA
Owned By: Town of Cohasset
Town-owned park with baseball field, basketball court and small playground.
Prior to European contact, a band of the Massachusett Native American tribe maintained a village in what is now Cohasset. It was known as Quonahassit — often translated as “long rocky place.” In 1614, while exploring what was known then as the New World, Captain John Smith (1580-1631) landed in “Quonahassit Harbor” to trade for furs. The Quonahassit village was probably in the vicinity of today’s Elm Street, a summer camp for fishing, and for growing corn, beans and squash. The village moved inland during the winter for shelter, and to hunt for deer, turkey and other wildlife. A widespread plague decimated the Quonahassit population shortly after Smith’s visit.
No trails, but just around the corner is the Doane Street Entrance to Wompatuck State Park, with numerous opportunities for hiking.
Habitats and Wildlife
The lands here are part of the Aaron River watershed. The Aaron River finds its source within Wompatuck State Park and flows northeast to the Aaron River Reservoir. The dam that holds the reservoir in place was constructed from 1976-1978. Below the dam, the river continues to flow through Cohasset. It joins with Brass Kettle Brook and eventually empties into the Gulf River in North Scituate. The Gulf River flows into the ocean at Cohasset Harbor.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 2 acres
Hours: Dawn to dusk
Parking: Limited on-site parking (15 cars)
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Small playground, benches, picnic tables, trash receptacles.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Aaron River (Gulf River watershed/Cohasset Harbor)