Weymouth, MA 02188, USA
Owned By: Town of Weymouth
The 110-acre Bradford Torrey Bird Sanctuary in Weymouth features more than 3 miles of trails. It was named for local ornithologist and author, Bradford Torrey (1843-1912).
Acquired by the Town of Weymouth through a series of land donations dating back to 1937 when John W. Seabury donated a parcel of land previously owned by Bradford Torrey. Torrey wrote essays about the land he owned, including “My Real Estate.”
This land is within the region of the Massachusett (or Massachuseuk). To learn more about local Native American tribes, we encourage you to interact with their members. The Mattakeeset band of the Massachusett, and the Massachusett tribe at Ponkapoag, both share information on their websites.
This property features a 2.5 mile loop trail, with numerous spurs. There is a parking area and trailhead on Main Street (Route 18) in Weymouth, north of Park Avenue and just south of Hunter Terrace. Or look for the trailhead behind Weymouth High School, across from the large rocky outcropping with the American flag painted on it. Additional access for pedestrians on Mediterranean Drive, Tall Oaks Drive, and Burkill Street (via the Arbor Hill Conservation Area).
All of these entrance points use a spur trail, blazed in blue, to connect to the loop trail, which is blazed in yellow. All trails are well marked. You can follow the yellow loop all the way around the 2.5 mile circuit. The blue-blazed spur trails are absolutely worth exploring too. This is a captivating, varied property with some occasionally steep and/or rocky sections and plenty to see, including rock outcroppings, bubbling streams, groves of beech and pine, and numerous glacial erratic boulders.
Habitats and Wildlife
The woods here are primarily pine, oak and beech. A small stream flows through the property, which is part of the Weymouth Back River watershed. Its waters ultimately flow northeast toward Whitman’s Pond and the Weymouth Back River.
The Weymouth Back River rises from several ponds and swamps, including Whitman’s Pond in Weymouth. It flows for about 10 miles, and empties into the Atlantic Ocean at Hingham Bay, just south of Grape Island and Slate Island. Follow the Back River Watershed Association for more information about the Weymouth Back River.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 110 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Parking area on Main Street, north of Park Ave. and south of Hunter Terrace. Or park at Weymouth High School during non-school hours.
Trail Difficulty: Easy, Medium
Informational kiosk and bench at trailhead. Geocache location.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on a leash no longer than 6 feet. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Weymouth Back River watershed