35 Ripley Rd, Cohasset, MA 02025, USA
Owned By: Town of Cohasset
This large, fenced-in playground is located behind the Paul Pratt Memorial Library in Cohasset, right beside the headquarters of the Cohasset Recreation Department. It includes a large climbing structure for older children, a smaller climbing structure for younger children, plus a rock wall, slides, swings, a rope ladder, a sandbox, and numerous other fun features, with wood chips underfoot. There is also a basketball court on site.
The MBTA Commuter Rail train tracks are very close-by. Train enthusiasts may enjoy watching them pass. Note: this property does not offer much shade.
Prior to European contact, a band of the Massachusett Native American tribe maintained a village in what is now Cohasset. It was known as Quonahassit — often translated as “long rocky place.” In 1614, while exploring what was known then as the New World, Captain John Smith (1580-1631) landed in “Quonahassit Harbor” to trade for furs. The Quonahassit village was probably in the vicinity of today’s Elm Street, a summer camp for fishing, and for growing corn, beans and squash. The village moved inland during the winter for shelter, and to hunt for deer, turkey and other wildlife. A widespread plague decimated the Quonahassit population shortly after Smith’s visit.
Habitats and Wildlife
The sun-drenched playground lies within the watershed of James Brook, which flows into into Cohasset Harbor.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Ample on-site parking.
Benches, picnic tables, trash receptacles. Restrooms are available during the library’s business hours.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: James Brook (Gulf River watershed), also Little Harbor watershed