68 Brigantine Cir, Norwell, MA 02061, USA
Owned By: Barque Hill Association
This was the location of the Fox Hill Shipyard, which was active from 1690 to 1869. Barstow and Waterman built a number of sleek hermaphrodite brigs here. The yard is now part of the Barque Hill neighborhood. A plaque marks the site. No public access, but you can view the historical marker from the water.
The location of the Fox Hill Shipyard is often described in history books as “at the foot of Sunset Hill.” The earliest shipbuilders to work here were Nathaniel Church and John Palmer, circa 1690. Church had a farm on the North River in South Scituate (Norwell), south of Cornet Robert Stetson’s place, across the river from Job’s Landing. There are records of Palmer living in South Scituate prior to 1660. In 1660, he built a log bridge over the Third Herring Brook probably at today’s River Street. The descendants of Church and Palmer very likely continued the business of shipbuilding here.
Michael Ford Jr. and William Copeland (his brother in law) were the next shipbuilders to work here, probably after 1799. They were both joiners — skilled wood craftsmen. Ford was lamed for life when he stuck a chisel in his knee. Michael Ford III (born 1814) worked at his father’s shipyard – which by then was called Copeland, Ford & Pratt — at age 16. He also worked at the Barstow, Briggs, Foster and other yards. He went on to Medford and then East Boston to work on ships and was still working on the in East Boston at age 75. In 1815 Copeland built a large ship here, the Heroine (337 tons), which was employed by the Fairhaven whaling fleet.
Barker Turner worked here with Copeland. HIs first vessel of record was the schooner Orient (42 tons, 1813), followed by the schooner Beaver (29 tons, 1814). Turner and Copeland continued to build ships here — together and separately — in the years that followed. Elias W. Pratt, Elisha Tolman, Capt. Thomas Waterman, Joseph S. Bates, and Elisha Barstow also built ships here. Quite a number of schooners and brigantines were constructed in the decades the followed.
The final ship built at Fox Hill Yard was the schooner Hope On (191 tons, 1869), the second to last vessel constructed on the North River. The ship was not commissioned, and it took nearly two years for it to be sold, as the market for ships had declined significantly by this time.
Habitats and Wildlife
This property is located directly on the North River. The North River rises from marshes and springs in Weymouth, Rockland and Hanson. It is approximately 10 miles in length, with its source at the confluence of the Indian Head River (Hanover) and Herring Brook (Pembroke). From there it flows through the towns of Hanover, Pembroke, Marshfield, Norwell, and Scituate to the Atlantic Ocean between Third and Fourth Cliffs, draining approximately 59,000 acres along the way.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: No public parking.
Trail Difficulty: No trails.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: North River