Ingram Park Trail, Cohasset, MA 02025, USA
Owned By: Cohasset Conservation Trust
27 acres of woods and wetlands with rocky outcroppings, old stone walls, and about a mile of trails.
Most of the land here was purchased by the Cohasset Conservation Trust in 2007 from landowner Osborne Ingram. Another 6 acres were added in 2014. The property is named for Osborne Ingram’s father, George. Eagle Scouts from Cohasset Troop 28 have done the bulk of the work on the trail system.
Prior to European contact, a band of the Massachusett Native American tribe maintained a village in what is now Cohasset. It was known as Quonahassit — often translated as “long rocky place.” In 1614, while exploring what was known then as the New World, Captain John Smith (1580-1631) landed in “Quonahassit Harbor” to trade for furs. The Quonahassit village was probably in the vicinity of today’s Elm Street, a summer camp for fishing, and for growing corn, beans and squash. The village moved inland during the winter for shelter, and to hunt for deer, turkey and other wildlife. A widespread plague decimated the Quonahassit population shortly after Smith’s visit.
Look for the main trailhead on Norman Todd Road, across from Heritage Lane, and just west of the railroad tracks. There is an informational kiosk, and then shortly down the trail, a series of plank boardwalks that traverse a stream and some wetlands. Follow the yellow blazes!
After the boardwalks, there is a loop trail to the left. Follow the loop to see a very captivating cluster of glacial erratic boulders. Along this trail there are also some views of the MBTA commuter rail and an old granite foundation. The loop eventually rejoins the main trail and continues around the perimeter of the property.
The trail is mostly easy and flat, but there are a couple of steeper sections, and occasional spots with lots of rocks and/or roots underfoot. Toward the end, the trail leads up over a tall rocky outcropping. There is a bench at the top, with a view of the woods and wetlands below. Soon after, the trail emerges on Beechwood Street, about 0.25 mile west of the main trailhead. You can backtrack through Ingram Park, or take a shortcut down Beechwood/Norman Todd Road to your starting place.
Habitats and Wildlife
The woods here are primarily maple, oak, and beech, with some pine, yellow birch, and a small grove of cedar. The property is located within the watershed of Bound Brook. Bound Brook flows into the Gulf River, which empties into the Atlantic at Cohasset Harbor.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 27.4 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited parking on Heritage Lane, across from the main trailhead.
Trail Difficulty: Easy, Medium
Informational kiosk at trailhead. Occasional benches.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash at all times. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Bound Brook (Gulf River/Cohasset Harbor watershed)