47 Cottage St, Hingham, MA 02043, USA
Owned By: Town of Hingham
A grassy hilltop with a woodland that slopes down to a stream and salt marsh, protected as wildlife habitat. A bench overlooks Hingham Harbor. The distance from the parking area to the viewing area is 0.1 miles.
John D. Long, who served as the 34th Governor of Massachusetts from 1880-1883, once had a home at this spot. After his tenure as Governor, Long was a member of the U.S. House of Representatives (1883 to 1889), and the U.S. Secretary of the Navy (1897 to 1902). He passed away in 1915 and was buried in Hingham Cemetery. His daughter Margaret donated the land to the town in his honor.
This land is within the region of the Massachuseuk (or Massachusett) Native American tribe.
No trails, but the property offers a wide, open grassy area with scenic views. The distance from the parking area to the viewing area is 0.1 mile.
Habitats and Wildlife
Located on a hill overlooking Hingham Harbor, this property is part of the Hingham Inner Harbor watershed. A forested hillside slopes down to marshland and a stream that flows to Hingham Harbor. Some of the trees present here include cedar, oak, and hemlock. There are also some rocky outcroppings.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 11 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited on-site parking. Access road off Cottage Street with a small parking area.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Informational kiosk, benches.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash, Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Hingham Harbor watershed