93 Essex St, Whitman, MA 02382, USA
Owned By: Town of Whitman
Small grassy park with paved walking trail between two ponds. Stroller-friendly.
Sometimes known as “The Boulevard,” this 1/3-mile paved trail runs alongside Hobart Pond, providing pedestrian access between Essex Street and South Avenue. Bordered by a cemetery, as well as residential and industrial properties, it is a small slice of nature within a busy town. Motorized vehicles are prohibited.
The Town of Whitman was originally known as Old Abington. Hobart’s Pond was created by a dam. In 1693, an industrial complex, with a sawmill, was developed at the southern end of the pond. In 1731, Isaac Hobart erected a gristmill nearby. Later (mid-1700s), on the same site, Colonel Aaron Hobart established a blast furnace and iron foundry, producing bells, munitions and cannons.
The manufacturing of tacks was a major industry in Whitman’s federal period. In the mid-1800s, Benjamin Hobart operated a tack factory near the pond. He sold his enterprise to Dunbar, Hobart & Whidden in 1859.
The 1/3-mile paved walking trail is wide and flat — easily accessible for strollers and wheelchairs.
Habitats and Wildlife
With a pond on one side and a pond-like section of the Shumatuscacant River on the other, this small park offers numerous views of the water. As is common with municipal parks, it is mostly open and grassy, but stands of birch, oak and pine line the walkway, providing some shade. There is also a large glacial erratic boulder. Some of the fish observed here include brown trout, pickerel, sunfish, largemouth bass, bream/bluegill, perch and brook trout.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 25 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited parking available outside the entrance gates on both ends of Colebrook Blvd.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes