Commercial St & Middle St, Weymouth, MA 02189, USA
Owned By: Town of Weymouth
Weymouth’s 13-acre Legion Memorial Field features tennis courts, soccer fields, plus a fenced-in playground and a half mile of paved walking trails. It is located across the street from King Oak Hill Park.
This park was established in 1930 by the American Legion Auxiliary in tribute to Weymouth’s World War veterans. It was renovated and re-dedicated in 2015.
The fenced in playground has rubber underfoot, and features, swings, slides, tunnels, climbing structures, plus picnic tables and benches.
This land is within the region of the Massachusett (or Massachuseuk). To learn more about local Native American tribes, we encourage you to interact with their members. The Mattakeeset band of the Massachusett, and the Massachusett tribe at Ponkapoag, both share information on their websites.
There is a 0.3-mile paved walking loop around the perimeter of the property, with an additional 0.22 miles of side trails.
Habitats and Wildlife
This flat grassy property has a few shades trees around its perimeter, as well as a small meadow with wildflowers. It is located within the watershed of the Weymouth Back River.
The Weymouth Back River rises from several ponds and swamps, including Whitman’s Pond in Weymouth. It flows for about 10 miles, and empties into the Atlantic Ocean at Hingham Bay, just south of Grape Island and Slate Island.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 13 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Ample on-site parking.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Turf athletic fields, 0.3-mile paved walking loop, tennis courts, small fenced-in playground, stretching station. Benches, trash and pet waste receptacles, bike rack, seasonal restrooms and snack bar. Geocache location.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Weymouth Back River watershed