2 Border St, Cohasset, MA 02025, USA
Owned By: Town of Cohasset
This small park on Cohasset Cove features memorials to Cohasset-based veterans from the Civil War to the present. Located right on the water, the views are amazing!
Established in 2006, this small park is situated right on Cohasset Cove.
Prior to European contact, a band of the Massachusett Native American tribe maintained a village in what is now Cohasset. It was known as Quonahassit — often translated as “long rocky place.” In 1614, while exploring what was known then as the New World, Captain John Smith (1580-1631) landed in “Quonahassit Harbor” to trade for furs. The Quonahassit village was probably in the vicinity of today’s Elm Street, a summer camp for fishing, and for growing corn, beans and squash. The village moved inland during the winter for shelter, and to hunt for deer, turkey and other wildlife. A widespread plague decimated the Quonahassit population shortly after Smith’s visit.
A short concrete walkway extends along two sides of the park. Continue your visit by following the sidewalk along the edge of the cove, to Lawrence Wharf, the Border Street Bridge, and Government Island. The Cohasset Historical Commission has placed markers at 10 different historic sites along the way. This is known as The Captains’ Walk.
Habitats and Wildlife
This grassy park is located where James Brook flows into Cohasset Cove, part of the Gulf River. A short way downstream, the Gulf River empties into the Atlantic Ocean at Cohasset Harbor.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited roadside parking on Border Street.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Bench, memorials, flagpole, interpretive signage, trash receptacle.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: James Brook (Gulf River)