195 Myrtle St, Hanover, MA 02339, USA
Owned By: Town of Hanover
Named for Arthur “Art” Ceurvels.
The trail network that you can access near this property’s basketball courts includes a 0.4-mile section of the former Hanover Branch Railroad, which once extended 7.8 miles from Hanover Four Corners, through South and West Hanover, across Rockland, to North Abington, where it connected with the Old Colony Railroad to Plymouth. Incorporated in 1846, and constructed over the better part of the next 20 years, it officially opened for service in 1868.
E. Y. Perry, who operated a large tack factory in South Hanover, was largely responsible for the creation of the railway. He also owned a general store (now Myette’s) and constructed the building in South Hanover that for many years housed a series of a shoe factories – Goodrich, Cochran, and Shanley — and part of the Clapp Rubber Company. The railway facilitated the transport of materials and finished products to and from these and other businesses, and also offered passenger service. Amusingly, in its latter years, when the businesses along its route had shut down, it continued to carried passengers, . . . but only by self-propelled cars! The Old Colony Railroad absorbed the Hanover Branch in 1887. In 1893, the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad took over the lease. Railroad service had dwindled significantly by the 1930s.
Look for two trailheads near the basketball court. The red-blazed trail leads for about 0.24 miles to Samoset Drive. Along the way, there is a link to the Hanover Senior Center trail network. The green-blazed trail extends along the old railroad bed for about .75 miles, connecting with both the Nava-Stasiluk Conservation Area trails, as well as those at Tindale Bog. Altogether these 4 properties offer about 2 miles of interconnected trails.
Habitats and Wildlife
The woods here are primarily pine, with oak, beech and maple and lots of fern. Torrey Brook, a tributary to the Drinkwater River, flows through the property. The Drinkwater River flows into the Indian Head River, a major tributary to the North River.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 75 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Large on-site parking lot.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Baseball and soccer/lacrosse fields, basketball court.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Torrey Brook (Drinkwater River/North River watershed)