34 Winnetuxet Rd, Plympton, MA 02367, USA
Owned By: Town of Plympton
This scenic and historic spot on the Winnetuxet River offers a picnic area, short trails, and water views.
According to interpretive signage on site, cotton goods were manufactured at this spot from 1812 to 1926. John Avery Parker established the largest of the area’s several mills. There were also tenement buildings for the workers, and a store. Down the river at various times were 3 grist mills, 2 sawmills, a fallen mill, a slitting mill, a shovel factory, a nail factory, two thread mills and a cheese factory.
After the mill closed, the Town of Plympton purchased the property for recreation. In the 1950’s, citizens, along with the Army Corps of Engineers, established the Winnetuxet Swimming hole here. The area is no longer suitable for swimming, but it’s a nice spot for fishing, or a picnic, or to admire the view.
This land is within the region of the Wampanoag tribe.
There is a short (0.1 mile) trail that crosses the Winnetuxet River and turns into the woods. Another short trail extends for the same distance along two sides of a small pond.
Habitats and Wildlife
This grassy property features streams, a small pond, and views of the Winnetuxet River. There are red maple, black gum, pine and oak trees as well.
The Winnetuxet River originates in Carver, near the Cole Mill site, and flows west through Plympton and Halifax to the Taunton River.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Size: 16 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited on-site parking.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Bench, picnic table.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Winnetuxet River (Taunton River watershed)