Herring Run Pool Park
Address: Herring Run Pool Park, Water Street, Weymouth, MA, USA
Parking: The park is located at the corner of Water and Commercial Streets, directly behind The Venetian restaurant. Look for roadside parking nearby.
Webb Memorial State Park
Address: 361 River St, Weymouth, MA 02191, USA
Parking: Large on-site parking area.
Size: 36 acres
Parking: Park at Union Street Woodland. Look for the small parking area on Union Street, near Hunter Drive.
Size: A tiny landmark within 180 acres.
North River Ferry Wreck
Parking: Water access only. Put in your canoe or kayak across the river at the Marshfield Launch / Brooks Tilden Shipyard.
Hatch’s Gunning Stand
Address: 176 Central Ave, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Parking: No public parking available.
Address: 1250 Ferry St, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Parking: Limited public parking on Sea Street and across the bridge on Marshfield Ave.
Address: 24 Old Mouth Rd, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Parking: No public parking available.
Size: 5 acres
Peregrine White Homestead
Address: 104 Peregrine White Dr, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Parking: No public parking available.
Size: 1.4 acres
Willow Street Bridge
Address: 2054 Ocean St, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Parking: Park at Pratt Farm, a little farther down Willow Street.
US Air Force Recreation Area
Address: 348 Central Ave, Humarock, MA 02047, USA
Parking: No public parking.
Size: 56 acres
Maritime & Irish Mossing Museum
Address: 301 Driftway, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
Parking: Limited on-site parking.
Washington Street Bridge
Address: 9 Washington St, Pembroke, MA 02359, USA
Parking: No public parking.
Mary’s Garden and Rogers Yard
Address: 299 Corn Hill Ln, North Marshfield, MA 02059, USA
Parking: Limited on-site parking at the end of Cornhill Lane.
Chittenden Yard and Canoe Launch
Address: 110 Chittenden Ln, Norwell, MA 02061, USA
Parking: Limited on-site parking for Norwell residents with green Norwell recycling sticker.
Cushing Memorial State Park
Address: 8 Cushing Rd, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
Parking: Limited on-site parking at the end of Cushing Park Road.
Size: 4.8 acres
Route 3A Bridge
Address: 12 Chief Justice Cushing Hwy, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
Parking: Parking for several cars is available in the scenic pull-off area just north of the bridge.
Herring Run Pool Park, Water Street, Weymouth, MA, USA
A pocket park in Jackson Square, where in the springtime you can see the herring run. A great spot to learn some local history!
361 River St, Weymouth, MA 02191, USA
Easy walking trails on a grassy peninsula between Weymouth’s Back and Fore Rivers. This state park is the only mainland portion of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area.
The Emma was built as a three-masted schooner in Maine in 1882. It was cut down to become a schooner barge, and then abandoned near Damon’s Point on the North River in 1912. On July 4, 1915 it was burned to the waterline. All that remains are the skeletal frames of the hull. Water access […]
An early wharf built of logs and stone marks this site at most tides. Access from Nelson Memorial Forest and by boat.
The remains of a North River ferry boat. Only visible from the northern bank at dead low tide. Look for them on the Norwell side of the North River, just upstream of the Union Street Bridge. Water access only. Until 2019, this landmark was referred as the “Gundalow.” A gundalow is a small barge employed […]
A sunken ship approximately 70 feet long is located here with keel and ribs sometimes in view. Local lore claims it to be either a rum runner or a WWI sub chaser. The location, between Hen Island and the foot of Fourth Cliff, is known as the Hanover Flats. Water access only.
Positioned at the base of Fourth Cliff, this was the location of a Humane Society Life Saving Station from 1879 to 1915. The Humane Society was a precursor to the U. S. Coast Guard.
176 Central Ave, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Site of a boat yard and active hunting club in the 1940’s and 1950’s. Most of its remains were destroyed in the Blizzard of 1978, but portions of the foundation remain. No public access.
A sheltered spot for winter mooring in earlier times. Now many lobster boats are kept here year-round. Water access only.
1250 Ferry St, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
A ferry service operated here from 1638 to 1888. Probably the oldest North River shipyards, including those of the Hall and Keene families, were located here as well. This was a prime location for shipbuilding, near the original river mouth. The 21-ton Mattakeesett, the only steamboat built on the river, was constructed at White’s Ferry […]
24 Old Mouth Rd, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Prior to the 1898 Portland Gale, this was the mouth of the North River. It was a major center of activity, since all boats entering and leaving the river passed by. It is now a barrier beach. A plaque in the Rexhame Beach parking lot makes note of this.
104 Peregrine White Dr, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Peregrine White was the first child born to the Pilgrims in the New World. After he married in 1648, he built a home here. At one time there was a saltworks nearby. No public access.
2054 Ocean St, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Originally constructed 1646 when it was known as Otter Bridge. Sometimes the adjacent banks are used as a canoe launch, but there is now a better launch site downstream at the Keville Bridge.
348 Central Ave, Humarock, MA 02047, USA
Property owned and operated by the United States Air Force for its own private use. The concrete submarine watch tower still remains and serves as a landmark to those seeking entrance to the North River. The US Navy built a Radio Compass Station here after World War I. In 1942, it became an Army Coastal […]
301 Driftway, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
Scituate’s Maritime & Irish Mossing Museum is located in the 1739 residence of Captain Benjamin James. There are six exhibits, each with its own descriptive video. These include the Portland Gale, Scituate Shipwrecks, Lifesaving Stations, Shipbuilding, Irish Mossing, and Captain James himself. There are numerous artifacts on display, as well as a gift shop.
9 Washington St, Pembroke, MA 02359, USA
In 1656, Plymouth Colony paid William Barstow 12 pounds sterling to build the first bridge to cross the North River. For foot and horse traffic only, it stood about 50 feet upstream (southwest) of the existing bridge on Washington Street. Barstow’s Bridge was replaced in 1682 with a cart bridge; the old stone abutments still […]
Looking downstream from the stone bridge during the peak years of North River shipbuilding, one could see 11 shipyards, with vessels in various stages of construction. From 1800 to 1808, a work force of 400 ship carpenters constructed at least ten ships per year. Two plaques mark these historical sites. One, commemorating the Smith Yards and […]
A footbridge across the Third Herring Brook was once located here. Workers in the shipbuilding industry used it as a shortcut from the Hanover Yards to Fox Hill. Named for its bowed shape, it has long since disappeared. Historical site only – no public access from the land.
Ships were built here around 1800, but little is recorded about them. Historic site only – no public access.
68 Brigantine Cir, Norwell, MA 02061, USA
This was the location of the Fox Hill Shipyard, which was active from 1690 to 1869. Barstow and Waterman built a number of sleek hermaphrodite brigs here. The yard is now part of the Barque Hill neighborhood. A plaque marks the site. No public access, but you can view the historical marker from the water.
The Brick Kiln shipyard was located here from 1730-1848. It was an extremely active place, with two separate yards, often with three or four vessels under simultaneous construction, side by side. The Boston Tea Party ship Beaver was built here as well as many other noteworthy vessels. The largest was “Laura Ann,” 375 tons, 103 ft. […]
Few existing records describe this early shipyard and packet landing which served east Pembroke and upper Duxbury for many years. Water access only. No access from the land.
Site of the early Stetson Shipyard. Now the location of the Route 3 bridge over the North River. The property was once a prehistoric Native American campground. Early records indicate that the hill was in fact bald, although now it is well-forested. No public access from the land, but the view can be amazing as […]
299 Corn Hill Ln, North Marshfield, MA 02059, USA
Mary’s Garden is tiny “pocket park” at the end of Cornhill Lane. It offers gorgeous views of the North River and its marshes. It was created in honor of Mary Eliot, who lived nearby and was a longtime, staunch supporter of river conservation efforts. This is also the site of the Rogers Shipyard (1790-1819). Pacific […]
There were two shipyards at this site, divided by a stone wall. A plaque marks the site. Water access only. Edward Wanton began building ships here as early as 1670, and probably until 1707. Wanton was a Quaker, and also established a well-attended house of worship on his property. Eventually the church was transported, via […]
110 Chittenden Ln, Norwell, MA 02061, USA
This Norwell Town Landing was the 1871 launch site of the schooner Helen M. Foster, the last ship built on the North River. A shipyard was located here as early as 1690. The saw pit is still visible. A plaque marks the site. The property also includes a fishing dock and canoe/kayak launch. Tide Math: High […]
This shipyard, which was active from 1701 to 1848, is named for the building that was used as a garrison house, or “block house” during King Philip’s War. It was located at the elbow, just above The Rapids on the North River. William James was probably the first shipbuilder here (c. 1701), followed by his […]
A shipyard stood at this site from 1645 to 1842. Thomas Nichols was the first to operate a shipyard here, around 1645. His daughter Rebecca married Samuel House Jr. in 1664. House continued the shipbuilding trade at this site, followed by Jeremiah and Walter Hatch. In 1676, Israel Hobart settled here (thus the name Hobart’s […]
8 Cushing Rd, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
A short woodland trail leads to the burial site of Chief Justice William Cushing. Possibly the smallest state park in the Commonwealth.
12 Chief Justice Cushing Hwy, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
The Route 3A Bridge features a large scenic area pull-off area with public parking for several cars. Little’s Bridge was constructed in 1825, and tolls were collected until March 20, 1865. Now it is known as the Sergeant Michael Jason Kelley Memorial Bridge. It was dedicated in 2006, to honor a Scituate resident’s service and ultimate […]
1 Country Way, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
Pocket park managed by Scituate Historical Society. Views of the First Herring Brook and historic water-driven mill and dam. Cross the street to Old Oaken Bucket Pond to view the fish ladder and the spring migration of herring.