33 Summer St # A, Kingston, MA 02364, USA
Owned By: Town of Kingston
The headquarters for Kingston’s Recreation department, offering various classes and programs. Indoor spaces available to rent for classes and functions. Baseball and soccer fields, basketball courts. Right Field Playground is immediately adjacent (to the rear).
The Capt. Fred L. Bailey Playground was constructed on this site in 1923 by a group of volunteers, led by Fred Bailey. Five acres of land were donated by Dr.& Mrs. Archer O’Reilly, and a series of 3 Town Fairs were held to generate funding for the project. The fields were leveled and a spring-fed pond was filled in to create the wide, flat area now transformed into athletic fields. Kingston High School teams practiced and played here until 1955, when Kingston joined the Silver Lake Regional School District.
In 1926, Mr. & Mrs. Edgar Reed of Worcester presented the beautiful Reed Community House as a gift to the town. The building was designed by S. Lincoln Rhodes. Edgar Reed was a descendant of Kingston resident and inventor, Jesse Reed.
More recently, Community Preservation Funds helped to furnish, restore and maintain this property. In earlier times, this land was within the region of the Patuxet, members of the Wampanoag tribe, who inhabited the area around the Jones River now known as Duxbury, Kingston and Plymouth.
No trails, but this large property offers ample space for a walk along the edges of the playing fields. The parking area is on the side of a hill, with a relatively steep decline.
Habitats and Wildlife
This property is within the watershed of Halls Brook. Halls Brook finds its source above Bracketts Pond in Kingston and winds from the western part of town, and through the downtown area. Just west of Route 3, it flows into the Jones River. The Jones River finds its source at Silver Lake and other brooks and springs in Pembroke, Halifax and Kingston. It flows for 7.5 miles through Kingston, and drains into the Atlantic Ocean at Kingston Bay.
The grounds of Reed Community House are grassy, with some shade trees along the perimeter.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Size: 9 acres
Hours: Indoors: M-F 8:30am-4pm. Outdoor spaces are open from dawn to dusk.
Parking: On-site parking.
Cost: Rates vary.
Trail Difficulty: Easy, Medium
Picnic tables, bike rack, trash receptacles. Indoor space available for rent for classes and functions. Baseball and soccer fields, basketball courts. Right Field Playground is immediately adjacent (to the rear).
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Halls Brook (Jones River watershed)