645 Washington St, Duxbury, MA 02332, USA
Owned By: Duxbury Rural & Historical Society
This tiny park, constructed atop an old wharf, is located within Duxbury’s Old Shipbuilders District. It offers beautiful views of the Bluefish River.
This section of Duxbury was very active during the early-mid 19th century, with shipyards, wharves, sawpits, mills and warehouses. By 1900, it was known as Duxbury Village, and served as the town’s main commercial district with livery stables, a restaurant, a garage, and more.
In 1906. on the site where the Reynolds-Maxwell garden now stands, Antone P. “Tony” Lucas built a house on the property that is today Maxwell Garden, and later ran a barbershop and grocery store out of the building. He also operated the locks on the Bluefish River bridge.
The property was purchased by the Duxbury Rural & Historical Society in 1943. For more than 70 years, the Duxbury Garden Club maintained the property, and in the 1980s, they named in honor of Mrs. Frank (Ella) Maxwell, the first president of the Duxbury Garden Club.
The property was restored and improved in 2018 by the Duxbury Rural and Historical Society, raising the sea wall to prevent damage during high tides and storms. Since the restoration was made possible through a generous bequest from Mary Reynolds, the property was rededicated as the Reynolds-Maxwell Garden.
Prior to all that, this land was within the region of the Patuxet, members of the Wampanoag tribe, who inhabited the area around the Jones River now known as Duxbury, Kingston and Plymouth.
No trails, but the permitter of this tiny property offers diverse views of the Bluefish River.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Park across the street at the small lot at the Duxbury Engine House No. 1. There is also bike rack.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Benches, historical signage.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Bluefish River