Sand Hills, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
Owned By: Town of Scituate
Small sandy neighborhood beach that grows narrow at high tide. Access from Oceanside Drive. Convenience store within walking distance.
Each year, Scituate sells a limited number of non-resident beach stickers, for Humarock, and for “all access.” For more information, call (781) 545-8718, or visit https://www.scituatema.gov/treasurer-collector/pages/2020-transfer-station-and-beach-stickers
Nearby is Old Scituate Light, a historic lighthouse on Cedar Point. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Scituate Light. Constructed in 1810-1811 at the entrance of Scituate Harbor, it was the 11th lighthouse constructed in the United States. It was removed from service in 1850 when Minots Ledge Light was lit, and then put back into service in 1852 after the first Minots Ledge Light was destroyed by a storm. Despite its new Fresnel lens (1855), it was removed from service again in 1860, after the second Minots Ledge Light was lit. Afterward, it fell into disrepair. The Town of Scituate acquired Old Scituate Light in 1917, and added a new replica lantern in 1930, but again the lighthouse fell into disrepair. The Scituate Historical Society restored in 1962, and in the 1990s, it was relit. Now, the Scituate Historical Society offers occasional tours. The keeper’s house is a private residence.
No trails, but you can walk on the beach at most tides (it can be tricky at high tide).
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Dawn to dusk.
Parking: 24 parking spots. Scituate Beach sticker required.
Cost: Free for pedestrians.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Porta-potties, in season.
Dogs: Yes, in the off season. From June 15 to September 15, dogs are not permitted on any town beach between the hours of 10am and 6pm.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes