403 East St, Hingham, MA 02043, USA
Hingham Recreation: (781) 741-1464
Owned By: Town of Hingham
Consider this Hingham property during the coldest days of winter, when the pond is freezes sufficiently for ice skating. For decades, the red-shingled “Skate House” stood at this site, providing shelter from the cold. It was demolished in 2020.
Habitats and Wildlife
A stream known as Turkey Hill Run flows out of this property and downstream into the Weir River, just upstream of Lyfords Lyking, a great spot for viewing the Weir River estuary. The pond itself is in a wooded setting, surrounded with pine, oak and maple trees.
Formed at the confluence of Crooked Meadow River and Fulling Mill Brook, the Weir River flows through Hingham, and eventually into Foundry Pond, not far from Skating Club Pond. The Weir River Estuary, designated by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as an Area of Critical Concern, begins just below the manmade dam at Foundry Pond. The mile-wide estuary forms the border between Hingham and Hull, and empties into Hingham Bay.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: Yes
Size: 8.8 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Ample on-site parking.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Turkey Hill Run (Weir River watershed)