245 Summer St, Duxbury, MA 02332, USA
Owned By: Town of Duxbury
This varied property features baseball fields, pickle ball courts and a historic community center.
The Tarkiln School (often misspelled Tarklin) is a historic building with two distinct sections. The older portion (to the south) was built as a one-room schoolhouse in the Greek Revival/Italiante style in 1871. The newer portion was added in 1908, in a matching style. In 1926 a connector was added, and in 1951, a kitchen was constructed off the back. It served as a Duxbury school until 1949, and became a community center in 1951. The building is named for its neighborhood, Tarkiln — there were once tar kilns in the area.
The heated/air-conditioned Community Center is available for rental by groups and individuals. Tables and chairs are available, but there is no WiFi. Visit the town website for details.
The Peter B. Sinnott Memorial Park was rebuilt in 2000. In 1986, it was named for a father, teacher, coach and friend. There are memorial plaques on site for him, as well as Ralph Sarro and Jerome Dewing, both of whom were involved with Duxbury Youth Baseball.
This land is within the region of the Patuxet Wampanoag tribe, who for centuries have inhabited the area around the Jones River now known as Duxbury, Kingston and Plymouth.
Habitats and Wildlife
The property is mostly grassy, and is surrounded by pine and oak trees. The waters and streams of this property flow into Halls Brook, which is part of the Jones River watershed.
The Jones River finds it source at Silver Lake, and extends for 7.5 miles through the town of Kingston. Follow the Jones River Watershed Association for more information.
Historic Site: No
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Ample on-site parking.
Cost: Rates vary.
Community center, baseball fields, pickle ball courts, swings, benches, trash receptacles.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Halls Brook (Jones River watershed)