634 Careswell St, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Owned By: Historic Winslow House Association
Also known as the 1699 Isaac Winslow House and Education Center. The ancestral home of the founding family of Marshfield. The property includes trails which lead to the Hoyt-Hall Preserve and the Marcia Thomas House, the home of the Marshfield Historical Society.
Built c. 1699 for the Hon. Isaac Winslow (1671–1738), this was the third house constructed on the land granted to Gov. Edward Winslow in the 1630s. The property was named “Careswell” after the family home “Kerswell” in Worcestershire, England.
Edward Winslow (1595–1655) was a passenger on the Mayflower, and a prominent leader in the early years of Plymouth Colony. He served as governor, as ambassador to England, and as an intermediary with local Native American tribes. His son, Col. Josiah Winslow (1628–1680), also served as governor, and led the Colonial Militia in the 1675 “Great Swamp Fight,” the decisive battle of King Phillip’s War. Dr. Isaac Winslow inherited the property two generations later. Isaac’s large medical practice served southeastern Massachusetts and helped to innoculate against smallpox. During the Revolutionary War, he was one of Marshfield’s leading loyalists. It is said that because he was so beloved by the people as a physician, his property was not confiscated after the war. Still, he was the last of the family to occupy the house. After his death in 1822, his estate was sold to honor debt. Subsequent owners included Daniel Webster, who initially used “Winslow Place” to house his tenant farmers. Several additional owners laid claim to the property in the decades that followed. In 1920, Edward Ford, John Gutterson, and Edgar Sherrill, who referred to themselves as the Winslow Associates, founded the Historic Winslow House Association. Since then, the Association has focused on the restoring and preserving of this classic first period colonial mansion.
The property is also available for private events.
This land is within the region of the Wampanoag tribe.
A loop trail begins at the rear of the property, extending parallel to Webster Street to the historic Marcia Thomas House. It continues behind the Thomas house, through the woods at the edge of a ridge, and returns to the lawn near the Winslow House stables. In the middle of the loop (in the woods), there is an intersection with a connector trail, blazed in blue, that leads to the Hoyt-Hall Preserve. where there are another 2 miles of trails.
Habitats and Wildlife
The forest here is primarily pine and oak. The trail that connects to the Hoyt-Hall Preserve crosses wetlands that were home to cranberry bogs 100 years ago, and are presently red maple swamp. The tidal salt marsh and Duxbury Bay are very close by (to the east). The property is within the watershed of the Duxbury Back River.
Waters flowing from the extensive salt marsh in Green Harbor and along the Marshfield-Duxbury line, as well as from the Duck Hill River, form Duxbury’s Back River, which enters Duxbury Bay at the Powder Point Bridge, and empties into Cape Cod Bay.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Size: 20 acres
Hours: Trails are open dawn to dusk. Seasonal events.
Parking: Limited on-site parking at 634 Careswell Street.
Cost: Trail access is free. See website for event and tour information.
Trail Difficulty: Easy, Medium
Benches (on the trails).
Dogs: Dogs are permitted on trails.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Duxbury Back River