9 North Park Avenue, Plymouth, MA, USA
Owned By: Town of Plymouth
Small park near Plymouth Harbor with benches and short walking path. Site of 1845 Old Colony Railroad depot.
This land is within the region of the Patuxet Wampanoag tribe.
Beginning in 1845, a branch the Old Colony Railroad extended 36.8 miles from Boston to Plymouth, passing through Quincy, Braintree, Weymouth, Abington, Whitman, Hanson, Halifax, and Kingston. Much of this route is now the MBTA Commuter Rail. A portion of the final section, from Cordage Park in North Plymouth to Nelson Park — just north of Plymouth’s harbor and downtown, was converted to rail trail in the 2010s, funded partially by the Community Preservation Act.
For the first 30 years of the Old Colony Railroad, the locomotives were named, including (on this branch) Mayflower, Governor Bradford, Governor Carver and Myles Standish. The New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad took over control of the Old Colony Railroad in 1893, with a 99-year lease. Year-round passenger service continued more or less until 1959, when the Southeast Expressway was completed. Seasonal service continued for a few more years. The MBTA commenced its commuter rail service on this line in the 1990s.
A 0.05-mile concrete walkway extends down the center of the park.
Habitats and Wildlife
This small grassy linear park is lined with oak and maple trees. Its waters flow to Plymouth Harbor.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Size: 0.5 acres
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited parking on North Park Avenue, and in various spots around the Plymouth waterfront.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Benches, concrete walkway, clock, trash receptacles, bicycle rack.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Plymouth Harbor (Atlantic Ocean)