- This event has passed.
August 7, 2021 @ 10:30 am - 3:00 pm
the 31st Annual Great River Race and Help Keep the NSRWA Afloat!
Note: Revised Map of the Great River Race
This year there will be two ways to race! The virtual race will be held from July 24-August 6, and the live race is scheduled for Saturday, August 7. There will be 2 courses to choose from for the virtual race and you can submit your race times from July 24-August 6. All registration must be done online by 12:00 noon on Friday, August 6, there will be no day of registration this year.
Funds raised through the Great River Race directly support NSRWA’s environmental education and outdoor programs. Our programs are the perfect way for children and adults to fall in love with and protect local natural treasures, especially our waters. Help us to get 2,500 children and adults outdoors to explore nature and have an experience they’ll never forget!
This year’s Great River Race is $65 for the first participant per craft. Each additional participant on the same craft is $10. Each registration includes the collectible Great River Race T-shirt. Additional T-shirts will be available for purchase. In the event of a severe weather cancellation there will be no rain date or refund, you will receive your collectible event T-shirt, and the registration fee will be a donation to support environmental education. All registration must be done online by 12:00 noon on Friday, August 6, there will be no day of registration this year. All participants (including minors under 18 years of age) must have a signed waiver to participate in the race. Waiver is in registration form.
Click here to become a FundRacer – It’s easy and we give you all the tools you’ll need!
- A FREE ice cream coupon for JC’s Ice Cream in Hanover ($4 Value)
- Custom 2021 collectible T-shirt
- A FREE beer from IndieFerm for those participants over 21 years of age.
- Free admission to the afterparty on August 7 including food, ice cream, games, and more!
Paddlers will get on the water independently and record their times by sending a screenshot of their route and time to complete the course as recorded by a fitness tracking app. This means that instead of one day when all paddlers come together to traverse the North River, you will:
- Choose a Date: After you register we will send you the dates with the tides that will work to do the paddle between July 24 and August 6. Once you register, you can do the race as many times as you’d like between these dates and submit your best time!
- Choose a Course: Select one of two-course options, both of which leave from the Marshfield Launch. The choices are:
Paddle Route 1: Finish line is Couch Beach in Marshfield (~ 2.5 miles). You can paddle up and back when the tide is right – we provide you the correct tides or have a friend pick you up there. This route is 5 miles round trip. Rock pile at Couch Beach is the finish line.
Paddle Route 2: Finish Line is just past the Washington Street Bridge (~7-mile course) and then take out 1 mile further upstream at the Hanover Canoe Launch. This route requires staging a car at the Hanover Canoe Launch.
Once you register, you will be sent the Tide Schedule and other pertinent information.
Divisions are the same for both the Virtual Race and the Day of Race.
- Rowing (Sliding Seat Single)
- Rowing (Fixed Seat Double)
- Rowing (Fixed Seat Single)
- Stand Up Paddle Board (Men)
- Stand Up Paddle Board (Women)
- Racing Kayak
- Kayak Single (Men)
- Kayak Single (Women)
- Kayak Double (All)
- Canoe Double (Men)
- Canoe Double (Women)
- Canoe Double (Mixed M/F)
- Canoe Family (At least 1 child under age 16)
- Canoe Single
- Senior Division 65+
- Best Decorated Boat or Boater (Submit your photo)
Whether you are making a donation or joining us as a FundRacer, you are supporting clean waters and healthy rivers! Funds raised directly support NSRWA’s efforts to get 2,500 people outdoors, which is the perfect way to fall in love with and protect nature, especially our local waters.
Here’s a sample of what funds raised will make possible:
- $25 gets one child in FISH School as a citizen scientist
- $50 gets one child on an outdoor adventure with our environmental educator
- $100 gives one child the chance to become an Estuary Explorer
FundRacers who raise at least $150 get FREE registration, plus there will be awards and prizes for the top 3 FundRacers. Thank you for doing your part to protect our local waters!
By becoming a FundRacer for the NSRWA, you’ll be paddling to save our local waters and rally your family, friends and networks to support your efforts and NSRWA’s mission. With your help, we’ll be able to get more people outdoors to protect our local waters, and you’ll help your friends feel good about doing good.
Starting a fundraiser is easy to do and it’s fun. We’ll give you all the tools you’ll need to make a difference locally. With your help, we will raise funds to get more people outdoors to connect with nature, because we protect what we love!
Help us save our local waters for everyone, for good!
- All skill levels, from novice to racer, are invited to paddle in the 31st Annual Great River Race and all ages are welcome. (Participants age 16 and under must be accompanied by an adult.)
- Any type of non-motorized watercraft is eligible to enter the race – even stand-up paddle boards!
- There is also the “Best Decorated Boat or Boater” division for the less serious, but creative paddler.
The registration fee for the Great River Race is $65 per boat (first participant), and $10 for each additional participant in that boat.
All participants (including minors under 18 years of age) must have a signed waiver to participate in the race. Waiver is in registration form.
- Register online to paddle between July 24th and August 7th
- Virtual participants will be sent the tide chart with the appropriate tides.
- Virtual Racers – Start at the Marshfield Launch. Finish at one of two locations: Couch Beach in Marshfield (2 miles) or at the Washington Street Bridge in Hanover (7.5 miles). Take out is at the Hanover Canoe Launch in Hanover (another 1 mile). Life jackets are required and must be worn throughout the race or you will be disqualified.
- Day of Racers – The live race is scheduled for Saturday, August 7 with a 10:30am start. There is no day of registration. All preregistered participants should arrive for check-in between 9:00-10:00am. The race will start promptly at 10:30. The start is at the Bridge Street put-in in Norwell. Finish is at the Washington Street Bridge in Hanover (7.5 miles). Take out is at the Hanover Canoe Launch in Hanover (another 1 mile). Life jackets are required and must be worn throughout the race or you will be disqualified.
Submitting your route and time on our Virtual Leaderboard
- Submit a screenshot of your completed route and time as recorded on your time/route tracking app (such as MapMyFitness or Strava). Send to GreatRiverRace@nsrwa.org.
- Share pictures of your paddle by tagging the North and South Rivers on Instagram and Facebook and use the hashtags #greatriverrace #exploresouthshore
- Track the times in your category and see other racer’s photos on our Leader Board
- Life jackets and a whistle are required by the US Coast Guard and must be worn throughout the race
- All participants MUST have a signed waiver to participate in the race.
In addition to the above race requirements it is strongly recommended that each racer/participant watch the following paddling safety video and follow the applicable recommendations below:
- Check the weather before you go and assess when you arrive at the launch. Avoid times when thunderstorms are likely or the wind is strong;
- If you there is sudden thunderstorm get to shore immediately and seek shelter in a building if possible if not stay low to the ground – do not seek shelter under a tree;
- Bring a protected, charged cell phone (you need this to log your race time anyways!) or other communication device;
- Race with a paddle buddy (someone who can accompany you in their own kayak/vessel);
- Let someone know when you start and finish the race;
- Bring an extra paddle or paddle float, a bailer, and flotation for your kayak, if needed;
- Water, snacks, & extra clothes in a dry bag.
All paddlers are invited to join us after the live race as the fun continues at Luddam’s Ford Park (just a short walk from the takeout). The party will start at 12:30pm with awards given around 1:30pm. Awards will be given in each category. There will be FREE food, ice cream, games, and more, plus a FREE beer from IndieFerm for those participants over 21 years of age.
On August 7, transportation will be offered, free of charge, from the take out point to the racers’ vehicles after the live race from 12:00-3:00pm. This is from the take out point at the Hanover Launch to the racers’ vehicles next to the race start line by the Bridge Street put-in in Norwell.