299 Damons Point Rd, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Owned By: Town of Marshfield
A Marshfield Town Pier is located here, adjacent to the abandoned railroad trestle, offering a fine scenic vista.
On the western side, there is a small launch for kayaks, canoes, and paddleboards. Use extreme caution if paddling through, and past, Damon’s Point toward the Spit, because of dangerous currents.
Tide Math: High tide at Damon’s Point is about 20 minutes after the Boston high tide.
Set off from here to go clamming. (See the North River Shellfishing Map for locations.) The clam flats in both the North and South Rivers are open from November 1 to May 31st. If there is a Red Tide, they may close sooner.
Located at a beautiful spot within the North River estuary, the pier is a popular destination for photography and a nice place to watch the sunset.
From 1871 to the late 1930's the Duxbury and Cohasset Railroad (later the Old Colony Railroad) traveled through Scituate and Marshfield. A portion of the railroad bed ran along the course of today's Damons Point Road. The railroad trestle remains, as well as other vestiges of days gone by. Look across the river to see the route the railroad traveled through the salt marsh, from Scituate. You can visit another portion of this old railroad bed at Herring Brook Trail in Scituate.
Building the railroad bridge at Damon's Point was a major challenge. The river seemed bottomless, making it difficult to get the wooden support pilings in place. The first bridge was too low, preventing a number of vessels from passing beneath it, especially at high tide. After the Portland Gale washed the bridge away and destroyed much of the railbed in the adjacent marsh, the bridge was rebuilt at a higher elevation. It contained a removable section that was designed to allow larger crafts to pass. However removing this section often involved several days' work by rail crews, interrupting regular train service. The bridge was replaced again in 1910/1911 with a man-powered drawbridge. This remained in place until rail service ended in 1939. It was removed in the early 1940s, but some of the pilings remain.
The Marshfield Hills station was located at the inland end of today's Damons Point Road, near the intersection with Summer Street. Adjacent to it was Herbert Macomber's livery barn. Railroad commuters would leave their horses and/or carriages at Macomber's for the day, while they traveled to and from Boston.
After train service was terminated, a portion of the railroad bed became Damons Point Road. Much of the original railroad bed has been preserved for public access as Marshfield's Bridle Trail and Rail Trail. The section between the Marshfield Hills station (Summer Street) and the Seaview station (Station Street) does not currently offer public access.
Macombers Creek and Macombers Island are located just east of Damons Point Road. The creek drains to the mouth of the North and South Rivers.
A small pier extends into the North River with a spectacular view.
Habitats and Wildlife
Many local species of mammals, fish, and birds can be spotted wandering the river and the river edge. Raccoons, fox, and squirrels can be found in the nearby woodlands and marshes. A popular spot to watch migrating shorebirds from June to September. Watch for the occasional harbor seal in the water. Bald eagles nest nearby, so you may see adult or young eagles. Also watch for the peregrine falcons, which sometimes chase terns.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: Yes
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited public on-site parking, with priority given to those with mooring permit stickers.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Boat Ramp: No
Scenic Views: Yes