301 Driftway, Scituate, MA 02066, USA
Owned By: Scituate Historical Society
Scituate’s Maritime & Irish Mossing Museum is located in the 1739 residence of Captain Benjamin James. There are six exhibits, each with its own descriptive video. These include the Portland Gale, Scituate Shipwrecks, Lifesaving Stations, Shipbuilding, Irish Mossing, and Captain James himself. There are numerous artifacts on display, as well as a gift shop. See the museum’s website for details.
Established in 1994, thanks to a bequest from Dorothy Wood, this two story museum is located in the former home of an 18th century Revolutionary War captain. The building has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1986.
This land is within the region of the Massachuseuk (or Massachusett) Native American tribe.
No trails, but very close by is the Driftway Multi-Purpose Path, a 1.5-mile paved bicycle and walking trail that connects with the Herring River Trail, the James Landing Walkway, Driftway Conservation Park, Widow’s Walk Golf Course, and the Scituate Dog Park.
Habitats and Wildlife
The Scituate Maritime and Irish Mossing Museum is located within the watershed of the Herring River, an extension of First Herring Brook. First Herring Brook finds its source in Scituate in the area west of Route 3A, between First Parish Road and Old Oaken Bucket Road. It flows through the First Herring Brook Reservoir, and downstream to Old Oaken Bucket Pond, passing through two dams. Below the historic Stockbridge Grist Mill, at the Driftway, it flows into Herring River, a major tributary to the North River. Herring River flows into the North River near The Spit.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Sundays, 1-4pm (except holidays)
Parking: Limited on-site parking.
Cost: $5 admission for adults
Trail Difficulty: No trails.
Two story museum. Benches and picnic tables outdoors.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: Herring River (North River watershed)