It’s been a long journey, but Cohasset, Marshfield, and Scituate Community Electricity is finally here! Several years ago voters passed articles authorizing their Selectboards to secure residents and businesses lower-priced electricity options that include more green energy. The program, approved by the MA Department of Public Utilities, allows communities to use their bulk buying power to negotiate better electricity rates, although future savings cannot be guaranteed.
What are the program options?
The program offers three options:
1) The default product, Standard, at a price of 16.71 cents per kilowatt-hour with an additional 10% more green energy above the minimum, as certified by “gold standard” Massachusetts Class 1 Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs).
2) A premium product, Plus, at 17.85 cents per kilowatt-hour with all your electricity from 100% renewable energy, using Massachusetts Class 1 RECs.
3) A least-cost product, Basic, 16.31 cents per kilowatt-hour with the minimum amount of renewable energy required by state law (22% in 2023).
See what other towns are participating in the green energy program. To view information about your municipality’s aggregation program, including pricing information, click here.
For more information, see links and meeting info below.
Two public forums will be held to discuss the Program with Q&A.
• Willcutt Commons, Tuesday, January 31, 2023 at 7:00 PM
• Second forum TBA
A virtual public information session will be held to discuss the Program with Q&A.
• Marshfield Emergency Operations Center located in the new Marshfield Police Station , Tuesday, February 7, 2023 at 10:00 AM. All are welcome to join, either in person or using this Zoom link.
Two public information sessions will be held to discuss the Program with Q&A. All are welcome.
• Scituate COA, Thursday, February 2, 2023 at 2:00 PM
• Scituate Public Library Community Room, Thursday, February 2, 2023 at 6:00 PM