Julian St, Scituate, MA, USA
Owned By: Town of Scituate
The smaller of the two bridges connecting Marshfield to Humarock. Also known as the Francis R. Powers Memorial Bridge. Extends from Bayberry Road to Julian Street, on the southern end of Humarock. Dedicated in 2008 to Francis Powers, who lived in Humarock, and served as the Plymouth County clerk of courts for more than 30 years.
This land is within the region of the Massachuseuk (or Massachusett) Native American tribe.
The Julian Street Bridge was originally constructed during World War II, so that ordinance for the Boston Harbor Defense System could be transported to the military station on Fourth Cliff. At the time, the Sea Street Bridge was not strong enough for this. Julian Street itself was deemed a public way in 1942. It was rebuilt prior to 2007, after sustaining storm damage.
The South Humarock Civic Association maintains its headquarters at the eastern end of the Julian Street Bridge. Since 1945, it has supported various civic and charitable causes and hosted events such as dances, races, Bingo, yoga classes and the annual Horribles Parade.
If you’d like to launch a canoe or kayak on the South River near Humarock, go a little bit farther downstream to the Marshfield Town Landing or Humarock Beach parking lot, where it’s safer to do so. Currents here can be swift and unpredictable!
Habitats and Wildlife
This bridge crosses the South River at a beautiful spot between Marshfield and Humarock.
The South River originates deep in Duxbury. Its source is in the Round Pond area, and from there it winds unobtrusively through the woods for several miles. Although one can view it from Route 3, and also from both the South River Bog and Camp Wing conservation areas, it remains a narrow and mostly un-navigable stream until it makes its first “public” appearance at Veterans Memorial Park in Marshfield. From there it flows under Route 3A, through South River Park, and behind the playground of South River School, emerging again at Willow Street. But due to fences, dense vegetation, traffic, and relative navigability none of these are ideal places to access the river by boat.Here at the Keville Bridge the river is wider, and navigable at most tides. Its course continues as it winds through the marshes, running parallel to Route 139, all the way to Rexhame. From there the river turns northward. It flows for 3 miles between Humarock and the mainland to Fourth Cliff, where it joins the North River at its outlet to the sea.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Always open
Parking: No parking.
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: Yes
Scenic Views: Yes
Waterbody/Watershed: South River