176 Central Ave, Marshfield, MA 02050, USA
Owned By: Private
Site of a boat yard and active hunting club in the 1940’s and 1950’s. Most of its remains were destroyed in the Blizzard of 1978, but portions of the foundation remain. No public access.
Longtime Marshfield resident W. Ray Freden describes Hatch's Boat Yard and Gunning Stand as follows. "The largest building ran with its gables east and west, with large sliding doors on the east side — they seemed boarded tight, with no ramp or entrance. The entrance door was on the left side, with maybe 3 steps. There was a smaller, shed-like building, attached on the left (south side), with two doors. If any boat building was going on, it was in there. There was room to park in front of these doors. The foundation on the north and west was made of field stones, of which some are still visible today. Dories were stacked on one another on the south side. On the north side there were tracks that ran from near the street to below the low water line. A cradle with wheels sat on the tracks, and a winch was at the head of the tracks. The building was shingled and silver grey and in poor condition outside. There were two brick chimneys, one in the shed-like building, and one in the west room of the main building."
No trails. The remains of Hatch's Gunning Stand are located at the edge of the South River. They are visible from the river at higher tides. Please respect private property.
Habitats and Wildlife
Look for sandpipers on the flats between the remains of the gunning stand and the South River.
The Blizzard of 1978 was a catastrophic nor'easter that struck New England from February 5-7, 1978. Extensive storm damaged was sustained along the coast of the South Shore. Extremely high tideland gale force winds resulted in significant property damage along the North and South Rivers.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: No public parking available.
Trail Difficulty: No trails.
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes