22 Myrtle St, Duxbury, MA 02332, USA
Owned By: Town of Duxbury
Keene’s Brook flows through this small historic site, the location of an 18th century sawmill.
Josiah Keene acquired the land surrounding Keene’s Brook, in the Ashdod neighborhood of Duxbury, around 1700. He or one of his family members built sawmill at this site. The dam created Keene’s Mill Pond, just upstream, on the other side of Keene Street. Lumber was produced here, but ultimately the water supply was not ample enough to sustain the mill for the long term. Shingles and barrel staves were produced here as well.
Open area; no trails.
Habitats and Wildlife
Keene’s Brook finds its source in the wetlands between Congress, Taylor, Union and Keene streets. It flows through today’s Camp Wing property and into Keene’s Sawmill Pond. Just downstream of the sawmill site, it flows into the South River. The South River remains a narrow and mostly un-navigable stream until it enters Chandler Pond in Marshfield. From there it flows through Marshfield Center, winding through salt marshes all the way to Rexhame. Turning northward, it then flows for 3 miles between Humarock and the mainland to Fourth Cliff, where it joins the North River at its outlet to the sea.
Historic Site: Yes
Boat Launch: No
Size: 0.25 acre
Hours: Dawn to Dusk
Parking: Limited on-site parking.
Trail Difficulty: Easy
Dogs: Dogs must remain on leash or under control at all times. Scoop the poop!
Boat Ramp: No
ADA Access: No
Scenic Views: Yes